The search field
The search field contains:
- The key symbol (only SUMA-EV members): Members can enter a private key to use the "free-of-advertising" metager search. If you want this too, just become a member: Membership form
- The search field: Enter your words here.
- The magnifier: Start your search.
Exclude single words
If you want to exclude words within the search result, you have to put a "-" in front of that word
- Example: You are looking for a new car, but no BMW. Then your search should be new car -bmw
- car new -bmw
Searching for more than one word
Without quotation you will get results containing one or some of the words of your search entry. Use quotes for the search for exact phrases, citations....
Example: search for Shakespears
- Please use quotes to make sure to get your search words in the results list.
- "round-table" "decision"
- Put words or phrases in quotation marks to search for exact combinations.
- "round-table decision"
Upper case vs. lower case
Upper case will not be distinguished from lower case
- Example: Searching for
- should give the same results as
All results will look like this:
- "OPEN": Click the headline, the link below (URL) or the "OPEN" button to open the result. This will be in the same or a new TAB due to your browser settings.
- "OPEN IN NEW TAB" will open the result in a new TAB in any case.
- "OPEN ANONYMOUSLY": the page will be opened under the proxy protection. There is some information about the proxy further down here.
- "MORE": you will get more options, the result changes its appearance to
The new options are:
- "Save result in TAB" (Only desktop): The result will be stored in a new TAB. It´ s used for collecting results out of several searches. This TAB appears on the right side of your screen. (info: Search in search)
- "start a new search on this domain": search only on this domain.
- "Hide": hide results from this domain. You can use this filter directly after your search words (e.g. my search words -site:*.wikipedia.org), filters can be concatenated and the wildcard "*" is allowed. Do one search with a filter and store it as a bookmark. Next time -using the bookmark- you have your settings active immediately.
Use "-url:" to exclude search results containing specified words.
- Example: You don' t want the word "dog" in the results:
- Type my search words -url:dog
MetaGer uses a little a special spelling called "!bang syntax". A !bang starts with the "!" and doesn' t contain blanks ("!twitter", "!facebook" for example). If you use a !bang supported by MetaGer you will see a new entry in the "Quicktips". We direct then to the specified service (click the button). Read more about our method departing from others: unseren FAQ
Search in search
The result will be stored in a new TAB appearing at the right side of the screen. It is called "Saved results". You can store here single results from several searches. The TAB persists. Entering this TAB you get your personal result list with tools to filter and sort the results. Click another TAB to go back for further searches. You won´t have this if the screen is too small. More info (only german so far): http://blog.suma-ev.de/node/225.
Tools-free of charge
All our services are cost free. You do not pay with your data.
You can use MetaGer within an app, too. To do so just download the MetaGer App on your Android smartphone.
There is a MetaGer Plugin for most of the common web browsers. The plugin provides easy search from the web browsers search field. Find out more: MetaGer Plugin.
Finding connotations to searchwords
Ask the MetaGer-Web-Assoziator (Tools / Associator) to find connotations in a subject area. The service doesn't append upon any language because it uses webdocuments as a source. Therefore, you find any connotations to your used language and vice-versa.
Example: you want to know more about "tick bites" and its dangers but you forgot the technical terms around this issue. The "Assoziator" presents "Borreliose" and "fsme" among others.
Please let us know if something unsuitable appears. Please use our contact form.
Provide full MetaGer functionality to your own website! Just select Tools / widget on our startpage, decide whether you want a powerful websearch or a sitesearch -which may be useful on your own pages. Enter the domainname and let the script do the rest. Questions to: contact form
Fact-Check versus fake news:
Cookies, Session-IDs, IP addresses
We don't store or work with any personal information (For the purpose of securing our servers against Hacking- and Bot-Attacks, we need to store these information for a short period of time. It will be then automatically deleted afterwards). We provide further privacy security services as follows:
For more details see "Tools" above.
Tor Hidden Service
MetaGer provides the highest reachable security level for your privacy (anonymised IP addresses, servers under german privacy protection law). For further security needs or fear of compromised servers you may use the MetaGer-Tor branch. Please download the specialized webbrowser from https://www.torproject.org/. You will find help there, too.
MetaGer Tor address: http://b7cxf4dkdsko6ah2.onion/tor/
MetaGer proxy server
Looking at the MetaGer result page, you will find a link "open anonymously" marked by a small lock at the right of every single result. Use this link to hide behind the MetaGer proxy server. The provided protection is limited to the website you reached from our result page. Protection persists while you see https://proxy.suma-ev.de/?url=...in your webbrowser‘s address field.
I see a in some spots. What is it?
You gain more information on the specific theme by clicking it (e.g. weather data or something).
MetaGer provides a map function: On a result page you see a new focus on the upper right, called "maps.MetaGer.de". You receive a map according to your search by click. Use the "customize" page for toggling maps function "show/hide", you will get a durably embedded small map on the result page, then.
After loading the map shows POIs according to the MetaGer results. You see them in the right column too. Mouseover a POI highlights its counterpart. Click "Details" to get further information (Nominatim data base) to this POI.
The maps are rendered before (except for the last three ones) and fast available. Affect the zoom level by mouse-wheel or the "+ / -" buttons in the upper left corner of the map.